Monday, December 7, 2009

Being a Class Act...



Okay, so I bet some of you are wondering why I would put something like this on my blog about the gospel...Well, here in Provo, Max Hall's statement after the Utah game this year has stirred up volumes of controversy.

I've been thinking lately about a big problem that exists in the church (especially here in Utah). The unspoken principle of righteous anger and hatred. The practice of justified hatred is so prevalent in this community that I feel I have to write about it. Let me lay out the basic concept: (1) My community is the most righteous. (2) Others of different nationalities, religions, and even rival sports teams must be unrighteous. This is a comment from Austin Collie just a few years ago after a win at Utah. He stirred up the beast too:



I'm using sports as the example. What do you see wrong here? Some would argue nothing. But think about the words uttered by the Zoramites,"thou hast elected us that we shall be saved, whilst all around us are elected to be cast by thy wrath down to hell; for the which holiness, O God, we thank thee; and we also thank thee that thou hast elected us, that we may not be led away after the foolish traditions of our brethren, which doth bind them down..." (Alma 31)

The Rameumptom was a place where people lifted themselves up as better than others. We hear this same idea in the church today, and not just with football. We can be so judgmental as a people. We over-generalize and stereotype. Think about the big social issues like homosexuality and illegal immigration. Have you ever thought bigoted thoughts about these issues, that they were elected to be cast down to hell?

Don't let yourself fall victim to pride. The Savior befriended the sinners. He loved those who were pained by the burdens of life. We need to be willing to open our doors and our hearts.

1 comment:

  1. Well said my brother. I find that often times it is even difficult for me to enjoy being in the company of people who spend their social time talking about the ways in which "our" people are better or more something. It perturbs me to no end. The gospel may be perfect and better than what the world has but people are just people.

    ReplyDelete

Followers